2-in-1 Garden Cart & Wheelbarrow
Small, child-sized garden cart with removable tray and fabric canopy that doubles as a wheelbarrow. Set includes two gardening tools, two plastic potted flowers and a real working water sprayer.
- Manual exploration of the cart and accessories enable children to gain a mental picture of what it is and how it is used.
- Sensory stimulation can be experienced and heightened with the addition of water and dirt in garden play.
- Eye-hand coordination is enhanced as children hold and use the garden tools.
- Add different scents in play such as peppermint extract or crushed fresh basil.
- Have children taste the fruits and vegetables they help grow in the garden.
- Children can feel and explore the dirt on their hands as they dig and plant.
- Have children, who may be tactilely defensive to dirt on their hands, wear gloves when playing and digging in the dirt.
- Gross motor skills are used to lift, push and walk behind the wheelbarrow.
- Hand, arm and upper body muscles are strengthened as children dig with the garden tools.
- Children gain knowledge of cause and effect relationships when they squirt water from the reservoir.
- Have children help plant the garden or flowerbed.
- Use the two plastic flowers as targets and try to hit them with a stream of water from the water sprayer. To increase interest, get the flowers dirty by rubbing them in dirt. Now when the water hits the flowers, the child’s success can readily be seen.
- Increase the opportunity to work on refined fine motor skills by introducing seeds into play. Start with larger seeds such as pumpkin and green bean seeds.
- Add Velcro or elastic bands to hold more easily.
- Fill the wheelbarrow with heavy items, such as rocks, to make a greater challenge, increase proprioceptive input or provide more resistance to slow the movement.
- Add rug tape to the handles of the tools and wheelbarrow to assist in gripping.
- Children can gain practice in expressing their thoughts through play with this garden set.
- Children can learn to play with others by sharing and taking turns with the tools in this play set.
- Children gain confidence in conversation by having a common activity such as gardening. This set can help facilitate this.
- Encourage children to say words, phrases or full sentences about what they are playing with and doing.
- Help children harvest the garden and place the vegetables in their wheelbarrow. Have them rinse the vegetables with the water sprayer. Then use those vegetables for the family meal. This can boost the confidence and self esteem of the child.
Developmental Processes Promoted
- Coordinated Movement
- Imagination/Pretend Play
- Problem Solving
- Finger & Hand Control
- Physical Range of Motion
- Two-Handed Play
- Gross Motor
- Motor Planning
- Turn Taking
- Cooperative Hand Movements
- Bilateral Coordination
- Fine Motor
- Action Concepts
- Language Development
- Visual Processing & Attention
- Strategic Thinking
- Approximate Price:
- Age Range:
- Levels of Play:
- One Level
- Surface Wipe